Gym is LIFE! Not really, but I love the feeling of being surrounded by people who are just as motivated as me to reach their fitness goals. But for someone who’s new to the gym or just working out in general it can definitely be overwhelming. Everyone seems so fit and sure of themselves. But listen, we all started somewhere.
When I first started I had no clue what to do and sometimes it was discouraging but I stuck with it. I learned about different exercises. I learned what sets and reps are. I even learned how to use free weights and machines. And I stayed consistent.
Was it easy? OF COURSE NOT. There were days when I sat at home for hours scrolling through Instagram and watching YouTube videos contemplating on if I should go to the gym and workout that night. Ironically, I was wasting the time that I could’ve used to go to the gym by sitting there. But eventually I got up and went.
It takes some real heart and fire to do something like that. But if you’re not at that point yet no worries. You can still hack your way into getting up and going to the gym with these tips!
16 Gym Hacks to Kick Start Your Workouts
(This post may contain affiliate links to products that I truly recommend. Feel free to use them if you want. Check out the disclosure for more info.)
- If you prefer to work out in the morning, lay your gym clothes out next to your bed along with your gym bag. Even better, sleep in your work out clothes so that you have no excuse!
- Make your protein shake or smoothie the night before and bring it with you to the gym that morning.
- Plan your work outs ahead of time so that way you’re not wandering around trying to decide what to do next. I’ve been guilty of this multiple times.
- Meal prep so that you don’t have to waste time cooking everyday. or you could even get your meals made for you from a meal prep company.
- Drink a 0 cal energy drink like Reign to get that caffeine boost on your way to the gym so that you’re already pumped when you start training. Its really good at waking you up after a long day. My favorite flavor is the melon mania.
- Enjoy a really good pre-workout workout snack for motivation. My pre-workout snack of choice is usually two Eggo waffles with PB&Co white chocolate peanut butter on top. Sooo good!
- If you have an apple watch, track your workouts. This works especially well if you make your workout visible on your apple watch face. I look at it all of the time and it’s motivation if you skipped a workout. Oops.
- Bring a friend duh! It’s always better when you have friends to work out with you. Regardless of what level they’re at they just make going to the gym more entertaining.
- Switch up your routine. Do you normally split your workouts by muscle group? Then try full body workouts or a quick HIIT session.
- Pre-mix your workout smoothie ingredients in ziploc bags and put them in the freezer. That way when you’re done with your workout, you can put your pre-mixed fruits and veggies in the blender. Voila!
- Make strength based goals like being able to do 10 push ups or 50 lb hip thrusts. It’s much easier to stay motivated when you have something to look forward to accomplishing every day.
- Take a few minutes to check out your favorite fitness people. Everyone has those days where they just want to hang out at home, but seeing people that you admire workout can inspire you to get up and workout too.
- Make your pre and post workout stretches more fun by incorporating yoga. It’s so much more entertaining and relaxing than your typical stretch routine.
- Buy new workout clothes that make you feel good. I swear by this one. When you look good you feel good, and I have no shame in dressing cute for the gym. It makes me go even harder.
- The 5 second rule. And no it’s not the one for picking up food off of the floor. This 5 second rule is to get you to trick your brain into doing something. The moment you have an instinct to act on a goal, you must physically move to act on it within 5 seconds or your brain will stop you. I’ve done this trick often and it really does work!
- STOP PROCRASTINATING AND JUST GET UP AND GO!
If you like this post, check these out next:
Share the Love: