When it comes to food, there’s nothing I love more than a good breakfast. Sure, some people skip breakfast, but for me it makes the day a whole lot better. Plus it keeps my hunger in tact.
When I was focused on gaining weight I figured out that breakfast was the best time for me to get a lot of calories in one meal. It was like getting a head start in a race.
If I ate a breakfast that was over 500 calories, it made it easier to make sure I ate enough food throughout the day. That way if I happened to eat a smaller lunch or dinner, it was okay because I already had a big meal for breakfast. Makes sense?
For a while I’ve been wanting to share a couple of my favorite high calorie breakfast meals, in the hopes that it’ll help someone else on their weight gain journey.
And even though I’m no longer actively trying to gain weight, I still eat these meals often because they taste great.
So here are my top budget friendly 500 calorie (or more) breakfast meals.
My Top Breakfast Meals Over 500 Calories
One of my favorite meals to eat for breakfast is oatmeal. I can make it taste however I want, I can add protein to it, and it keeps me satisfied.
Here’s my recipe for my strawberry banana oats that ends up being 550+ calories.
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal
Makes 2 servings. You should eat both.
1 cup of Quaker Quick Oats
2 Cups of your preferred milk (I like almond milk)
1 sliced Large Banana
6 sliced medium strawberries
1 tablespoon of nut butter
1 tablespoon of brown sugar or honey
cinnamon to taste
- Add oats and milk into a small saucepan, and cook on the stove top on low- medium heat stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat after 10 minutes or until oats have a thick creamy texture. Mix in brown sugar or honey.
- Pour into a bowl and add banana and strawberry slices. Top with 1 tablespoon of nut butter and enjoy. Feel free to add some cinnamon for a little extra spice.
I eat my strawberry banana oatmeal almost every day, but sometimes I switch up my fruits every once in a while for a bit of variety.
On the off chance I get tired of the oatmeal, I also really like having a good ol’ breakfast sandwich.
Turkey Bacon & Egg Breakfast Sandwich
My recipe for a turkey bacon and egg breakfast sandwich ends up being 505+ calories. But feel free to make it your own or add a side a fruit to increase your calorie intake.
Makes 1 serving.
Non stick cooking spray
2 slices of bread, lightly toasted
1 large egg
3 slices of turkey bacon
1 slice of cheddar cheese
1 slice of tomato
salt and black pepper to taste
- Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add in turkey bacon and cook until crisp. Remove the bacon and set it aside.
- Spray the skillet with a little more cooking spray and break open the egg on the skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes until the white is set. Then flip and cook for 4 – 5 minutes until yolk is completely set.
- Top one sliced toasted bread with tomato, cheese, bacon and egg. Add the remaining slice on top.
- Pair with a side a fruit. Buen provecho.
If I’m feeling a little fancy and have some time to spare I love eating french toast for breakfast. Of course I have to add my fruit.
Mixed Berry French Toast
This french toast recipes is 500+ calories per serving.
Makes 2 servings. Eat it all or enjoy half the calories and share it with a friend.
4 slices of bread
1/8 of butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Mixed Berry Sauce
- 2 cups of mixed berries (I like blueberries and sliced strawberries)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
To Make the French Toast
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon together to create the egg wash.
- Heat butter in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dunk bread in the egg wash making sure to coat both sides, and cook in the skillet over 2 – 3 minutes. Flip the bread when the edges are brown making sure the bread is cooked evenly on both sides. Remove and set aside.
To Make the Mixed Berry Sauce
- Mix berries, sugar, and lemon juice in medium plan over low heat, crushing and stirring the berries until they form and thick sauce.
Spread the sauce between each slice and and on top. You can add maple syrup or whipped cream to make it even sweeter if you’d like. Enough to enjoy alone or share!
Share the Love: